Omega-3 fatty acids are an important part of any diet. There are various ways to get the omega-3 your body needs, though fish is the most highly-recommended source. Whenever possible, try to get your omega-3 by eating fish two or three times a week, rather than taking dietary supplements.
The benefits of omega-3 are many, and include the following:
- Heart Health: Omega-3 serves to lower the levels of triglycerides in your blood, reducing your risk of heart disease.
- Reduction of Arthritis: The anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3 reduces the stiffness and joint pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Reduction of Asthma: A diet rich in omega-3 can reduce the symptoms of asthma.
- Prevention of Mental Decline: Research has indicated that a regular diet of omega-3 fatty acids serves to protect you from age-related mental diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Meanwhile, it may prevent the gradual memory loss associated with aging.
- Reduction of ADHD: It has been indicated that children with ADHD experience a reduction in their symptoms, as well as improved cognitive skills, when they get enough omega-3 in their diet.
- Improvement of Mood: Cultures that eat omega-3-rich foods tend to have lower rates of depression. The acids also seem to enhance the effects of antidepressants, and reduce the depressive symptoms of bipolar disorder.
- Infant Health: Eating omega-3 while pregnant facilitates the development of your unborn child.
At Spice Route in Bellevue, you can get the omega-3 fatty acids you need from our various seafood dishes, including our fish vindaloo, our shrimp curry, and more.